Wednesday, September 17, 2008
Monday, September 15, 2008
This is how I was able to get today's deal:
-Luvs were on sale for $15 per box at Target
-Target was offering a $5 Target gift card with the purchase of two boxes
-I printed 2/$2 off Target coupons from Full Cup Target Coupon Generator
-I had saved a $1/1 and $2/1 coupon from the Sunday ads (you can pair a manufacturer and store coupon in most stores but can not usually pair two manufacturer coupons, depending on the state and the store)
- So, spend $30, use the $7 in coupons and get a $5 Target card. For a grand total of $17.
Here are some strategies I have used to keep costs down that may help you:
-I use store brands and less expensive brands when possible. The exception is with a brand new newborn. Those little newborn bums are so little I really think the Pampers Swaddlers are the way to go and worth the money.
- I buy ahead (at the beginning of the month when we start a new budget or on a great deal) so I never have to run out and buy full price because we are almost out.
- I monitor prices in ads, online and on blogs such as Baby Cheapskate
- I use Freepeats to get free diapers and diaper coupons.
- I only buy when the diapers are on sale and I can pair with a coupon. Some common scenarios for this are:
- Babies R' Us will have a sale on Especially for Baby and then offer an additional $5 off a box on certain days.
Safeway occasionally runs a deep discount on name brand diapers that can be paired with manufacturers coupons
- The Entertainment book has a coupon for B1G1 on anything that is there store brand. This includes diapers and means I can get two jumbo packs for $7.99, I get extra coupons from anybody who isn't using the one from their book.
- Target will run special deals that allow you to get Target cards if you buy two packs. I pair these with manufacturers coupons.
- Costco occasionally runs a coupon on Kirkland Signature or Huggies diapers. I buy them here if those are available, depending on the deal.
- I always cruise the diaper and/or clearance aisle of the grocery stores and discount stores I frequent to see if anything has been discontinued. You can get some awesome deals here! Ask the store manager next time you see him when they will be doing the next diaper reset and go in that day. Then I combine the discount price with a coupon!
Here are some brands we are content to use:
- Pampers (although we rarely get a good enough deal to purchase these)
- Kirkland Signature (Costco brand)
- Target brand
- Especially for Baby (from Babies R' Us or Toys R' Us)
We haven't had the best luck with very cheap store brands such as Walgreens, Bartells and Safeway. Although, I have been known to use one of these brands during the day when we are just hanging out at home (if the price is amazing) and then use the more expensive brand at night and when we are out of the house for extended periods.
If you aren't willing to put the time and energy into finding the best available price on diapers then Costco is the way to go. They have, on average, a lower price on diapers than the grocery or discount stores. But, you will be paying at least $.20 - $.25 a diaper depending on what size your munchkin is.
Baby Cheapskate has a great resource to help figure out what your cost will b. The How Many Diapers Per Pack chart is great!
How do I buy wipes? Kirkland Signature from Costco is the only way to go. Even with coupons and sales I haven't found a better deal. Costco currently has a $3 off coupon available for these wipes, but just through 9/28/08.
Do you have any tricks to share for getting a great deal on diapers? Do you have any brands you like that aren't on my list? Please share your wisdom!
Sunday, September 14, 2008
I have even missed stains and washed them once or twice before using Oxi and it still gets it out! It's somewhat miraculous, actually. It doesn't get out bleach though. That's the only thing I've found it hasn't worked on. Don't waste your time on the OxiClean Spray, I don't think it works as well.
Do you have any other great stain-fighting ideas?
Friday, September 12, 2008
I have one disclaimer, what seems worthless to me may seem useful to you and vice versa but this is my blog, so I get to share my opinion. And, I only put items on this list that I really figure, nobody needs. I have some opinions on things we don't need that others might but I didn't include those. I would love to hear your comments on why I am right or wrong! And if you are convincing enough, I may change my list!
Here are my Top 15 Worthless Baby Items (in no particular order):
No Scratch Mittens
Shopping Cart Cover
Sterilizer (use the dishwasher!)
4 0z. or 11 oz. bottles (just use the 8oz ones)
Expensive baby monitors
Wee Wee Blocker
Dedicated Changing Table (Use a dresser! It's cheaper!)
I am really sorry to those of you that purchased some of these items for me when I registered for them. I really didn't know better. Why didn't anybody tell me? I actually still use most of them, out of guilt and not wanting to be wasteful. And I love them because you purchased them, and I love you. And some of them I never did buy, because even I was smarter than that.
Hope I didn't offend anybody with this post! And, as always, I may just change my mind at sometime with a little convincing from my dear blog readers. Do you have any other items that you would say weren't worth purchasing?
Thursday, September 11, 2008
I found the best price at Pish Posh Baby - $459 with no shipping or taxes. I have been watching the prices for several months. Normally this stroller is $509 for the double set up and this was the best deal I have seen around. However, I think I got the last one! But if you do choose to shop from Pish Posh Baby, you can use the coupon code Save5 to get 5% off also.
Just a few of the online retailers that carry Phil & Teds strollers are:
Check everywhere (Google and Yahoo shopping, and major search engines) before you purchase and don't forget to search for coupon codes for the retailers you are looking in to purchasing from. And, as always, never pay shipping or tax! Let me know if you need help finding a deal!
Thursday, September 4, 2008
- The Wish List - what I think I need (or want) for Baby #2
- The 50 items to register for
- The stroller debate - how to pick the best stroller for your needs
- How I find the best price on all this stuff
- Baby gear you don't need
Any other ideas or things you would like to see on Love it Baby? I'd love a little input on this one! Or, which topic would you like to see blogged about first??
Thanks for your help!